Sunday, May 27, 2012

Currently Reading

The Scottish Chiefs by Jane Porter
This book was written in 1810 and tells the story of William Wallace of Scotland. Right now I'm only about 1/4 of the way through the book, but it is a stirring book that celebrates virtue, honesty, justice, and patriotism. At the same time, it is page-turningly interesting, and right from the very first chapter, the story line starts moving. Highly recommended reading! (At least the first quarter of the book, anyway!)

Why Revival Tarries by Leonard Ravenhill
A searing book from the zealous pen of a prophet of God. This book shook me to my core and moved me to prayer as I had never been moved before. Ravenhill's writing style is clever and full of puns and alliterations, which I usually don't have much use for, but the substance of the book outweighs the style. It is a burning, passionate plea to seek God, to pray, to care about the souls of men. Its words are life while at the same time they are death to the flesh. Read with caution and prepare to be changed.


God's Pursuit of Man by A.W. Tozer
(Also sometimes titled The Divine Conquest). I can't give a synopsis yet because I'm not far enough into the book. However, what I have read is loaded with insightful points and peppered with quotable phrases. For instance:
"For [these verses] evidently teach that the message of the gospel may be received in either of two ways: in word only, without power, or in word with power. Yet it is the same message whether it comes in word or in power. And these verses teach also that when the message is received in power it effects a change so radical as to be called a new creation. But the message may be received without power, and apparently some have so received it, for they have a name that they live and are dead. All this is present in these texts." (See 1 Thess. 1:5; 2 Cor. 5:17, and Rev. 3:1.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I love comments! You have just made my day! :-)