Monday, October 1, 2012

Roadside Views in Haiti

I rode in the back of a tap-tap the other day and got a chance to get some pictures--and though they're not incredible quality, a few were actually semi-in-focus. So enjoy seeing the sights that are becoming common and familiar to me.

These photos were taken on the way to St. Marc, the nearest city, so you can see somewhat of a progression from rural territory to city and back.
























I finally got a picture of a couple of banks. I found out that this is nothing like a bank as we know it, just a place to sell lottery tickets. So I find the above picture incredibly sad on two levels: 1) that someone would exploit Haitians in their dire poverty by selling them lottery tickets, and 2) that they are invoking the name of Christ on this one ("Christ Capable"), as if to say that Jesus will help them to choose the right numbers or lottery ticket or whatever they do here to strike it rich.












2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing this! I am praying for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your prayers! Glad you enjoyed the photos. :-)

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I love comments! You have just made my day! :-)