So today I was working in the Rastro (secondhand store...kind of like Goodwill or Salvation Army).
We have a little back room with a fridge and microwave and some snacks, and about 11:00 today, I went to make myself a cup of tea.
"I think I'm supposed to use water from a jug," I thought to myself. I'm always unsure when it's safe to use the tap water, but I thought I remembered that the responsible in the Rastro had showed me the jug of drinking water. Sure enough, I saw a bottle on the shelf and poured a cupful. I heated it up in the microwave and then put a tea bag in it.
After waiting a couple of minutes, I looked at my tea. It wasn't steeping very well...the water was still quite light and the tea bag was swelled up in a strange way.
"What is wrong with this?" I thought. "Did this tea expire years and years ago or something?" (I didn't think tea could go bad... but there was definitely something wrong here.)
I noticed it smelled funny. I sniffed the cup.
"This smells like bleach!" I thought. "Maybe, long ago, this packet of tea fell into some bleach water and then dried out." (But there was no sign that the paper had ever been wet.)
Then it hit me.
It was BLEACH that I had poured into my cup and heated in the microwave.
Now that's a new one, even for me.
Good thing I didn't actually come to taste it.
Tune in next time for another episode of "Please Protect Me From Myself."